Sunday, August 24, 2008

21

We watched the movie 21 on Friday. The movie was good but the book was a LOT better, that's always the case though. What really surprised me was that they could even say the movie was based on the book Bringing Down the House. About the only thing from the book that was in the movie is that some kids from MIT played blackjack and had a system for counting cards, everything else was different. The entire back story of the main character, a new love interest, etc. Most of the other movies that I've seen which were based on a book I read, were still true to the book. Sure they cut out much of the detail to fit it into a 90-120 minute movie, but at least the story is the same. It makes me wonder how many movies I've seen where I haven't read the book that are totally different than the original authors version. Or even worse "based" on a true story where only one piece is the same and the rest is all made up. This is especially scary considering many of us think anything in a book, movie or on TV is true, when in reality we all need to be a bit more critical of our information sources.

No comments: