Monday, June 07, 2004

Quandary Peak

This past Saturday my girlfriend Lauren, a friend from work and I hiked Quandary Peak. Quandary Peak is a fourteener(14,000+ feet elevation) about 8 miles south of Breckenridge with a peak elevation of 14,265 feet. This was my first fourteener and I definitely underestimated the 6.25 mile round trip hike with an elevation gain of 3,450 feet, but the important thing is I did make it to the summit. We left the car at about 9:00 in the morning and made it back to the trailhead at about 3:30 in the afternoon. It was really fun and aside from nursing my sunburn I'm pretty much recovered from the event and looking forward to hopefully hiking another this summer. Below are some pictures from the hike, you can click on them to enlarge them.


Blue Lake on the way up.



Approximately the last 1,000 vertical feet.



Lauren and I at about 13,800 feet.



Looking southwest from the summit at 14,265'



One of a pair of mountain goats ahead of us on the trail as we descended.

No comments: