Friday, June 18, 2004

Poker Course

Last week I took an interterm statistics course titled The Art and Science of Poker. It was a pretty fun class and I learned a little bit, although I would really have liked to get into some of the more advanced topics but I guess I can't complain about getting four elective credits for learning about poker.

The course had two different books. The first book was Winning Poker For The Serious Player by Edward Silberstang. This book is a pretty good basic book that incorporates some basic strategy although doesn't really address any strategies beyond basic good starting hands for the different games. The second book was The Theory of Poker by David Sklansky. This is a really good book and apparently is considered a must read by many poker players. The book addresses many concepts and strategies which I found very interesting. My one complaint with the book is that the examples are poor in many cases and must be read multiple times.

Anyway I enjoyed the class and I'm looking forward to playing some more poker.

No comments: