Sunday, April 03, 2005

Poverty

The poverty here at times is truly amazing for a "Westerner". Many areas are like some of the most poverty stricken places that I have seen in Mexico. During my time out there were two different experiences which really stuck out. In one case a guy followed us all the way back to our cab from quite a ways off and then after we entered the cab started hitting it with a stick to try and get money. The cab driver didn't allow that to go on long and I was glad for that. Also well waiting for our cab to pick us up at the national park two girls followed us around and were tugging at my pant legs in an attempt to get money. At this my host feigned smacking them around and came awfully close yet this didn't seem to deter them. It's sad that I could give these girls a dime and they would have been happy but by doing so I would be mobbed by people so it's not possible. I've taken the strategy of tipping the service folks well. Which by our standards still doesn't mean spending much money but makes these people extremely happy and personally I would rather give the money to the individuals who are working then the ones begging.


Street Market

No comments: